OMG Onion & Cheese Pie
OMG, this Onion and Cheese Pie is absolutely worthy of this streetsmart announcement! Please find below a wonderful recipe for the pie made of onion and cheese and with the crust made of almond and coconut flour, no gluten at all.
You can add small pieces of bacon or ham or a bunch of finely chopped herbs or you can use leeks together with onions. Before I changed my diet to Low Carb High Fat I would often make pies both for lunch and dinner. Avoiding carbohydrates and wheat flour I later completely forgot about pies until recently, when my daughter made it for me. Serve with a large bowl of fresh salad.
This is indeed a nice LCHF pie, OMG!!! Just think of the variations you can make of this. Enjoy your pie.
OMG Onion & Cheese Pie
200 ml almond flour (Please note: it’s ml!)
60 ml coconut flour
60 ml sesame seeds
1 tbsp HUSK aka psyllium fibres
60 ml water
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp olive oil
Onion & Cheese Filling
30 g butter for frying
3 large chopped or sliced onions
120 ml boiling water
Salt and pepper
250 g grated cheese, like Cheddar, Jarlsberg or another cheese you love the most.
Method for the OMG Onion & Cheese Pie
First of all, turn on the oven, 180 degrees C/360 F.
- Put all ingredients for the OMG pie crust in a food processor and mix it well. It should be a small soft ball within a few minutes. You can do it with your hands as well. I use a wooden spoon to mix the ingredients and then I gather it all with my hands.
- Place a piece of parchment paper in a round pie form, size like 220 mm or 9 inches in diameter. Spread the pie dough in the form, and press it firmly in the edges and up along the side. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- While the pie crust bakes, fry the chopped or sliced onions for around 12 minutes, use a low heat, the onions should only simmer and become sweet. Pour the water, add salt and pepper. Let it boil until the water has evaporated and the onion mass is creamy again.
- Cool the onions on a plate, and then place half of them on the pie crust, which is now pre-baked and ready to be filled.
- Put a layer of cheese on the onions and repeat the layering. The top layer must be cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 35 minutes, take it out, and let it rest for 15-20 more minutes before serving.