This is the Super Simple Salad School of LCHFLondon. Find quick and simple versions of salads for your dinner and your lunch. I will inspire you to make these delicious salads every day. Nothing less. Freshly and homemade salad is on my table every day, and most of these recipes are suitable for lunch also. The most important thing is to make your salad a little different every day. Otherwise you’ll not see the beauty in the long run. Apply a little special treatment every day that makes it so much more than just a side. And it’s easy, once you read this post. I divide the salad theme into veggies and combinations, and dressings and finally tips for preparing it all.
The Super Simple Salad School
First of all, identify your favourite veggies and then ensure always to have some of those in your fridge. If you don’t have any, your adventure starts here. It is important that making these salads isn’t rocket science. Find and bring your favourites and make them delicious on a daily basis. You’ll discover that in the end the potential meat and fish become your side dish.
Veggies and combinations
I love spinach, avocado, cauliflower, pointed cabbage, red cabbage, salad onions, tomatoes, cucumber, watercress, rocket salad, endivie and many more herbs, leaves and vegetables. You can put fruits and berries in your salad as long as it’s small amounts due to the carb content. Use strawberries, blueberries, a little apple or orange. It is fantastic to add lemon juice, coriander leaves, parsley and mint to your salad, so also buy a little of that. These are my favourite combinations, but you can find your own;
- avocado, apple, spinach, pointed cabbage sliced on a mandolin
- avocado, orange, onions, tomato
- cauliflower, parsley, lemon juice, fennel, tomatoes
- fennel, pear, radish
- watercress, tomatoes, cucumber, blueberries
- rocket, cauliflower, apple, salad onions
- red cabbage, orange, fennel, radish, parsley
- tomatoes, onions, rocket, strawberries
- cauliflower, parsley, basil
- red cabbage, apple, spring onion
- avocado, rocket, cucumber, blueberries
- watercress, rocket, cauliflower, lemon zest
- Pepper bells, avocado, orange, red cabbage
Possible addings to the salads above
- boiled eggs and/or goat cheese
- any cheese or salmon
- small whole tomatoes, crumbled feta cheese
- boiled eggs, salmon
- boiled eggs and/or tuna
- roasted pine nuts
- pecan nuts, mozarella
- walnuts, lemon zest, feta cheese
- smooth goat cheese
- strawberries, blueberries, pine nuts, walnuts or pecan nuts
- capers, feta cheese
There are many more options, which is why you will discover a lot of miracles when you are comfortable making your own salads. If you fancy olives, buy the best quality, and add these to you favourite salad. They go specifically with tomatoes and cheese.
I only use extra virgin olive oil. I only use the best balsamico, which will be sweet and thick, It is expensive but you could consider it as a bottle of wine or champagne and it lasts for a longer period. You won’t regret when you have first started this habit, it is sunshine on your salad, believe me!’
For a basic dressing, use 100 ml of olive oil, 30 ml of balsamico, 20 ml lemon or lime juice, a little Dijon mustard, and flake salt. Shake it all well together, and discover your own final mixture. Add a little more balsamico or a drop of fluid honey. It’s your taste, that matters.
Tips & Tricks
- The veggies might be too fresh and too artificially matured. To soften to process, put salt on your sliced onions, leave them for an hour. Add vinegar and salt to your sliced cabbage, and leave for an hour or two. Drain and mix with the other ingredients.
- Avocados should always be opened, sliced or mashed only just before served. Otherwise they would quickly change colour. You can drizzle with lemon juice to prevent the oxidation.
- It’s important to style the salad. Ensure variation of colours, and also be sure the veggies are tasty. If they taste like nothing, they are of bad quality and not worthy for your precious life.
- Use a mandolin to slice the veggies very thinly. They will absorb more oil which is important for the healthy fat intake. I use a mandolin a couple of times during a week as I also fancy the more chunky salads.
- The salad should contain sweetness (from the ingredients), sourness, savoury taste, and soft and crunchy items.
More tips to follow here 🙂